Need help getting your dream role?
We have lots of handy hints and tips on everything from creating a strong CV, to what to expect once it’s got you noticed. So take your pick from these pages of advice to get you started on the right foot. Remember, we want you to be yourself at LNER because we understand that the power of having a rich tapestry of backgrounds and experiences within our workforce. This is what makes us a great place to work and will help drive us forwards to continue to pioneer and innovate across the industry. So, our biggest piece of advice we can give you for our process and any other process that you may go through, is always be yourself! We don’t want to catch you out, we want to see you for who you are and what you can bring to our LNER family.
- How to write a job winning CV
- What happens next?
- The medical and why you need one
- What else your need to know
- How to prepare
- How soon do we let you know?
How to write a job winning CV
CV Top Tips
- Keep your CV short, under two pages long. There are some great resources online to help you, just google it or try this.
- Your CV is all about showing us you have the right skills, experience or potential, so be as specific to the position as possible.
What happens next?
Front Line Roles (like Contact Centre positions or Onboard Host roles)
- To work with our customers, you need to show that you are aligned to our values, you have the right behaviours and also you can demonstrate the right motivation for coming to work at LNER. We are not always looking for experience, so please take the opportunity to show us how motivated you are to join us.
- We may ask you to submit a CV or we may ask you some questions during the application process. If you can demonstrate the right values, motivation and behaviours through your responses we will progress you to the next stage. For some applications, we may ask you to create a short video interview. We are looking for your personality to shine through the process, so please remember to be yourself.
- If you’re successful, you’ll be invited to join us at an assessment centre. Here you can expect an interview along with a group activity designed to demonstrate your potential. Our employees are what make us great, so we’ll aim to make this as relaxed as possible, letting your personality shine. Don’t forget, it’s a two-way process, so it’s about making sure we’re right for you too.
Safety Critical Roles (like Station Customer Service Assistant and Train Manager)
- These roles are very similar to the above, however, you’ll also be invited to take an industry standard psychometric test as part of the process. We appreciate this can be daunting, but it's safety first for us in the railway, so we need to make sure you have the required aptitude for the role. You’ll be sent practice papers at least 7 days in advance to help you prepare.
- If you’re successful, you’ll then be invited to our assessment centre. Here you can expect an interview along with a group activity designed to demonstrate your potential. Our employees are what make us great, so we’ll aim to make this as relaxed as possible, letting your personality shine. Don’t forget it’s a two-way process, so it’s about making sure we’re right for you too.
Apprentice Train Driver
- Once you apply, we’ll ask you to take some online aptitude tests to demonstrate the skills required. If you pass all of these, we’ll invite you to create a short video interview. This is a pre-recorded interview, so can be done from the comfort of your own home and in your own time. Note that you won’t be able to do your video interview until you have uploaded your certificates for GCSE Maths and English grade A* - C or equivalent. Click here to find out more about what equivalent qualifications can be submitted
- If you’re successful at this stage, you’ll be invited to an interview, where you will meet one of our Driver Managers. This is a competency-based interview and it’s your time to show us what you will bring to the role, but is also your opportunity to ask any burning questions. The final stage of the process, involves undertaking some industry standard psychometric testing. Practice papers will be sent to you at least 7 days before the date to help you prepare ahead of this final assessment stage
- Please head to our Apprenticeship page to find out more, including any qualifications you’ll need to join the course. We’ll need to see evidence of your qualifications before you’re invited to any face-to-face interview.
Roles in Our Head Office
- If your CV shows the skills and experience we’re looking for, depending on the role, you might be invited to create a short video interview or to come in for a face-to-face interview
- If we need any more information about you to help our shortlisting, we may contact you either before or after the application closes. Don’t worry, we’ll let you know what it’s about at the time.
- Many of our roles in head office are very different, so you may be invited to a practical assessment. We’ll be in touch well in advance so there’s plenty of time to prepare.
- We’ll let you know the outcome of your application and/or any testing you do as soon as we can.
- We’ll be really clear what our plans are, so you can arrive to your interview or the assessment centre totally prepared.
- We let you do the talking so you can show us the skills, knowledge and experience you bring to the table. For many roles, your behaviours and personality are key, so our calm environment helps us all relax so you can shine.
- If you’re not sure about anything, get in touch with our friendly People Resourcing Team who’ll be happy to help.
How to prepare
Just be yourself! You know your stuff. We’ve already seen it in your application, so be prepared to talk us through some of your amazing achievements. Focus on those relevant to the role and which make you stand out from the other candidates.
Don’t forget it’s the usual things that make a difference on the day.
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Give yourself plenty of time to get here
- Dress to impress. You don’t always need a suit, but do take pride in yourself and arrive clean and smart
- Remember your essential documents, additional notes or memory sticks. Your invitation will have all the details
- Above all, relax. We’re a fun company and our recruitment team is no exception... you might even enjoy yourself!!
How soon do we let you know?
We’ll be in touch as quickly as we can. If we’ve got vacancies and find great, new talent, we’d like you to get started as soon as possible.